- 2001 (Battery-Powered Express Pack; directional switch, red wheels, includes straight 8" piece of Clickety-Clack Track)
- 2002 (Redesigned, improved wheel grip, single push button only goes forwards, grey wheels, working lamp)
- 2011 (CGI style face)
- 2013 (Redesigned with black wheels and CGI style face)
- The James Express Pack vehicle used the same body as the Thomas and Percy versions.
- James was the first battery-powered tender engine, the second being Hiro, the third being Spencer, and the fourth being Gordon.
- The first prototype of the 2013 James has gray wheels instead of black wheels.