Peter Sam is a kind, but vulnerable engine who works closely with Sir Handel.
- 1995 (Dark paint)
- 1997-1998 (old-shaped plastic funnel)
- 1999 (redesigned plastic funnel)
- 2002 (Ledge removed)
- 2008 (Redesigned face and details, added "Special Funnel")
- 2012 (CGI style face and updated minor details)
- Roy Wilson's hand-made prototype 1995 Peter Sam featured a much lighter shade of green, non-printed decals, and a hand-sculpted face.
- The prototype 1995 Peter Sam featured a taller boiler and Percy's face.
- The 2002 Peter Sam was included in the Narrow Gauge Engines pack instead of his 2008 version. This was most likely to sell off extra stock as production of the line was being transferred to Fisher-Price the following year.
- Some versions of the 2000 Peter Sam do not feature his name on the chassis, unlike some other vehicles of the time.