- 1998 (forward facing magnet polarity)
- 2000 (backward facing magnet polarity)
- 2006 (updated face, brake lever)
- Roy Wilson's hand-made prototype for Toad features sticker decals instead of printed detailing, a light beige roof, and a hand-sculpted face.
- Toad and the NW Brakevan are the only actual British brakevans in the range. The Sodor Line Caboose, Haunted Caboose, Winter Wonderland Caboose, and Musical Caboose are based on American cabooses, and the Troublesome Brakevan is not based on a brakevan at all.
- 2006 Toad was recalled for lead paint in September 2007.